Gretna Green Wedding GuideNon UK Residents

For couples coming to Scotland from from overseas, you must follow the normal procedure of giving notice to the registrar in Scotland but you may have to provide extra documentation.

If you are domiciled in another country, outside the United Kingdom, you will have to submit a certificate of no impediment along with your marriage notice forms. Most European countries issue certificates of no impediment but other countries may not do so. If for any reason you are unable to enclose such a certificate, state the reason. If you have lived in the UK for the last 2 years or more however, you do not need to submit a certificate of no impediment, but should state how long you have been resident in the UK.

If any document is in a language other than English, you must also provide a certified translation into English.

If required you must provide a translator please call the Gretna Registration Office on 01461 337648 for details.

If you have any questions about your paperwork, please contact the Gretna Registration Office:

Tel: 01461 337648
Email: [email protected]